Application Process ===================
- Read up on the outreach program.
- Look over our projects and task ideas below. If nothing there strikes your fancy then feel free to suggest one of your own. We love new ideas! Check back often, we're still adding tasks and projects!
- Join the #openitp and #oti channels on irc.freenode.net and introduce yourself!
- Contact the mentor of the project that you're interested in contributing to via IRC. Talk with them about how to get started.
- Send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be available and responsive throughout the application period so we can work with you on improving it.
One more thing: I don't want anybody to think for a second that OpenITP would turn away awesome male applicants! If you're trying to get involved in our issues and our tech, there's room for more people!
OpenITP Tasks and Programs
If you're interested in working with OTI, come find us in #openitp on irc.freenode.net and introduce yourself!
Integration between DokuWiki and EtherPad-Lite
UX Designer At Large
Our UX expert, Georgia Bullen, will serve as mentor for this task. She will lead an intern in performing a UX design task for a free software anti-censorship or anti-surveillance project. OpenITP might accept multiple people for this task. We will help identify candidate projects and provide design feedback throughout the process. Applicants should submit a link to projects you’ve worked on, github, resume and a cover letter. This project's mentor will be Georgia Bullen (georgia AT opentechinstitute DOT org).
Code Academy Lesson Development
Improve Planeteria.org Community Development Tools
OTI Tasks and Programs
If you're interested in working with OTI, come find us in #oti on irc.freenode.net and introduce yourself!
Front-End Development for Tidepools
Commotion mesh nodes are capable of being configured to enter directly into the Tor network. We need an intern to configure, package, and document the process of making a tor-entry node. If the intern completes this task within the time frame they will have the opportunity to tackle custom configurations that will allow for Tor exit nodes on the mesh that allow small bandwidth Tor traffic from elsewhere to be run over the network to further obfuscate it. Contact Dan Staples (danstaples AT opentechinstitute DOT org) to apply!
Virtual Mesh Testing Suite:
This intern will create a series of scripts to cause mesh routers to imitate different routing and configuration problems. When run these scripts will cause a router to fail in a specific way, give the user a hint on how to find out what the problem is, echo encouragement to the user as they use the correct tools to discover the problem along the way, and monitor if the user resolves the problem. The output of this process will be a program that allows a user with basic training to use a virtualized router to train themselves to address problems that occur in the field. Contact Dan Staples (danstaples AT opentechinstitute DOT org) to apply!